A MESSAGE ABOUT COVID-19 and FLU
The Edwardsville YMCA is committed to maintaining a clean and healthy environment for everyone. We are closely monitoring information about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and the flu, and taking precautions to help keep our Y community safe.
At the Y, we believe in healthy living. In many ways, that starts with a clean environment. Each Edwardsville YMCA branch is cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis, with heavy use common areas such as locker rooms and child care sites cleaned more frequently. We are making sure hand sanitizer and hand wipes are available to members and staff, posting safety reminders throughout the building, and encouraging staff and members experiencing any symptoms affiliated with these illnesses to stay away from the Y and immediately seek medical attention.
Should this issue escalate in our community, we have a plan in place that outlines necessary steps both in prevention and our response. Health officials advise the best way to prevent Coronavirus is to practice the same good hygiene steps used to prevent the common cold and flu:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. For information about handwashing, see the CDC’s Handwashing website.
- Use the disinfectant wipes to wipe down equipment (weights, floor machines, etc.) after each use.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you’re sick or feeling sick, stay home.